Carolina Lookout Tower Challenge - Multiple Ascents Grid
Carolina Mountain Club
Main Peak List: Click here to see the standard peak listing, showning more informational columns and just the first ascent date.
Front Runners List: Click here to see list completion progress by climbers that log their climbs using Peakbagger.com.
Compare Climbers: Click here to compare ascents of up to 5 climbers working on this list.
About the Multiple Ascent Grid:
- This table grid shows all peaks on a given list, and all ascents done by Danny Casady,II, up to 10 ascents per peak.
- While many peakbaggers do not like to repeat ascents, some will try to do multiple "laps" or "rounds" of a favorite list, often one close to home.
- The header for each ascent column shows, in parentheses, the total number of peaks climbed in each "round", and clicking the header link will sort your ascents for that round.
- Due to space limitations, this listing has just the basic peak info, so up to ten date columns can be shown. Please use the main peak list (linked above) for more basic info and functionality.
- Some climbers will log two ascents of the same peak on the same day--for example, when doing an out-and-back ridge run with other ascents sandwiched between two of the same peak. Some might not consider these to be two separate ascents for the purposes of doing multiple rounds. Clicking on the "Count a peak only once per day" link in the header will collapse multiple ascents of a peak on a single day into just one ascent for this grid list.
This list shows major summits in western North Carolina that have lookout towers on their summits. Since many peaks in the Southern Appalachians are thickly forested to the very summit, the towers on these peaks offer fine views over the trees. Many of these towers are old fire lookouts, but others were build for the benefit of tourists (including towers on Mount Mitchell and Clingmans Dome).
Note that the Little Snowball fire lookout tower has been removed from the Northeast Peak of Little Snowball Mountain and reconstructed at a valley site, the Big Ivy Historical Campus. To get credit from the Carolina Mountain Club for completing this list, you must hike to the old mountain site, plus drive to the tower in its new location and climb it there.
Note that Mount Noble and Chambers Mountain have been removed from this list in the 2018-2019 timeframe due to private land access issues.
Links Carolina Lookout Tower Challenge
Selected Guidebook(s) for this List Hiking North Carolina's Lookout Towers (Barr)
Caution: These books feature many of the peaks on this list, but may not have information on all of them.
Map Showing Location of Peaks
= Peaks climbed by Danny Casady,II = Unclimbed peaksClick on a peak to see its name and a clickable link.
(Map only shows peaks ranked by clean prominence)
This page has been served 664514 times since 2004-11-01.