Ascent of San Mateo Peak on 2015-08-03
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Monday, August 3, 2015|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
|Peak:||San Mateo Peak|
| Elevation:||3591 ft / 1094 m|
Ascent Trip ReportGood news! There has been some improvements to the signage on this hike from previous trip reports.
1) Start at the Morgan Trail head & take the trail until you hit the register box, sign in and then immediately turn around, the trail you want is to the right and looks small. Unfortunately, there is no new signage here, but the trail is easy to see once you turn around.
2) Follow the trail along the creek bed (it will cross several times). When you come to the first T-shaped junction, go right and stick with the creek (going left will take you up to S. Main Divide Rd.)
3) After crossing the creek a few more times (which was completely dry on this hike), you will come across a brand new large sign "SAN MATEO PK" about 0.7 miles into the hike with an arrow pointing to the tiny use trail that will take you to the peak. The plastic dinosaur on a stick is still here by the way, but is easy to miss. The new sign is almost impossible to miss.
4) The small use trail will quickly open up and will take you all the way through the dense chaparral to the summit with no other trails intersecting.
5) There is a new sign at the summit with the correct elevation. It now reads 3591 instead of 4000. The peak register was hidden in the large boulder just behind the sign. Hop up there and take in some great views of Elsinore Mountain and all the area. The register only had a few people sign each month, but one person had just completed a run of 18 straight days of climbing the peak in honor of his late father.
6) Return the same way as you came. Be on the lookout for poison oak along the trail while near the creek.
Total distance 4.9 miles roundtrip. Time about 1:50.
New sign pointing to peak trail (2015-08-03). Photo by Aaron Matthews.
Click here for larger-size photo.
|Summary Total Data|
| Round-Trip Distance:||5 mi / 8 km|
| Quality:||5 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Maintained Trail|
| Weather:||Hot, Calm, Clear|
| Time:||1 Hours |
| Time:||50 Minutes|
This page has been served 405 times since 2005-01-15.