Ascent of Abernathy Peak on 2001-08-08

Climber: Fred Beavon

Date:Wednesday, August 8, 2001
Ascent Type:Successful Summit Attained
Peak:Abernathy Peak
    Elevation:8321 ft / 2536 m

Ascent Trip Report

With hot temperatures predicted, I left Edmonds Tuesday at 7:45pm for Twisp via Hwy. 20, arriving at the Scatter Lake trailhead at midnight. The bugs that splattered on my windshield made it hard to see in the dark. Though it was warm at midnight, I woke up cold twice and had to put more clothes on each time. After an uncomfortable night in my cramped car, I was up at 5:30am and after a quart of water and two bananas (ugh!), I was on my way at 6:15am. Following a stream kept the temperatures cool enough that my wrists even got numb until I was above Scatter Lake. What a good feeling that was, since I was expecting hot temperatures. At 9:30am, I arrived on the summit and stayed till 10:45am. One "gorilla" had done it in three hours. And another reported walking up naked backwards upsidedown on his arms. This is the third summit in a row I was shivering on top of and had to put a flannel shirt on to warm up. That's a pretty good feeling, considering it's the summer and usually blazing hot. Torok placed the register there on 10-10-94 when it was snowing hard. Johnny Jeans was with him hoping for better views than his previous trip there six years ago, but the views were even worse this time. The Matoi's were there 10-3-94 and 10-15-95. Dale Flynn, #66/100, on 9-29-96, Mitch Blanton, Sam Houston and Dave Stephens, #75/100, on 6-7-98. Karen and Heather Kuiken were there June 26, '98, camped at the lake and then went back to the summit again the next day. Bob Cure arrived twice, 9-15-97 and 6-17-98. On his second trip he reported seeing a bear 40' away eating an elk carcass. Only one party of two signed in last year, Bruce Morrison and Susan Ornsdorff. Steve Fellstrom signed in first this year on 7-4-01, then there was a party of two, a party of three, then me. Scatter Lake was so clear one could see fish swimming in it and they were even jumping up out of the water. The short peninsula of land that jutted into the lake added to its attractiveness. The small pond before the lake that appeared to have a nice sandy bottom turned out to be mud that I sunk into when I started to wade into it, so I turned back. Back to the car at a leisurely rate, at 1:45pm. The warm temperatures I was dreading I only noticed, thankfully, shortly before reaching my car. After numerous stops, I finally left the town of Winthrop at 3:30pm and was home before 7pm.
Summary Total Data

This page has been served 1119 times since 2005-01-15.

Copyright © 1987-2020 by All Rights Reserved. Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page Terms of Service