Ascent to Spectre Peak-Aqua Bench Mark on 2012-01-14

Climber: Larry Edmonds

Others in Party:Chris Jones
Susan Smith
Phil Rogul
and others that shall remain nameless.
Date:Saturday, January 14, 2012
Ascent Type:Unsuccessful - Turned Back
Point Reached:Spectre Peak - Aqua Bench Mark
    Elevation:4419 ft / 1346 m
    Remaining Elevation:63 ft / 20 m (100% left to go)

Ascent Trip Report

The plan was to go up via DPS route B and down via route A. After crossing the desert flat and climbing about 3/4 of the way up the first rocky draw, Chris Jones, Phil Rogul and I stopped to wait for the others in the group to catch up. From the beginning I felt a few of our group were not experienced enough to be doing this climb but was not able to convince them they were not up to it. After waiting 45 minutes for them to catch up, I told them they needed to turn around as at this pace we would not be down out of the rocks by dark. Chris, Phil, and I continued on up and climbed what I thought was spectre (should have consulted my GPS) we ended up summiting on Aqua, and imediatly upon summiting looking accros the valley I knew we were on the wrong peak. Susan was also with us but did not feel up to summiting, she had crossed the ridge lower down and was waiting for us in the valley between Aqua and Spectre. It was now to late in the day to return via route A, which I wanted to do, and still bag Spectre. So we decided to get Specter another day and headed out via route A. We made it out of the rocks and into the canyon leading out to the desert just as the sun was going down. As we were asending the rocky draw towards the canyon out, I made radio contact with the others that had turned around. Rather than just turning around they had climbed to the east-west draw at the top of the first rocky draw and taken another canyon down. Now I was concerned that they may be going down a canyon with terrain they were not counting on. As we hiked out the main canyon I repeatedly tried to make radio contact with no luck. Now I was starting to worry that they had not made it out. Especially when I got radio contact with John Strauch who had gone of to bag other points of interested and was at the trailhead waiting on us. He said he had not seen or heard from the others. Fortunately they were OK and were just ahead of us reaching the vehicles about 5 minutes before us. What a relief when John called to say they had arived. The battery in there radio was dead.
Summary Total Data

This page has been served 410 times since 2005-01-15.

Copyright © 1987-2020 by All Rights Reserved. Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page Terms of Service