Ascent of Monument 450 Peak on 2012-03-06

Climber: JP Lavoie

Others in Party:Web Tran
Date:Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Ascent Type:Successful Summit Attained
Peak:Monument 450 Peak
    Location:United States/Canada
    Elevation:3530 ft / 1075 m

Ascent Trip Report

Web and I were back on the trail to complete the Longfellow range section of Québec' 1000m. It was my first time in the Gosford zec and I was really impressed of how the trails were maintain and how friendly were people there. So I arrived at 1pm on March 5th pay the fees for an overnight camping in tent and started hiking around 2pm. That day, my goal was to get as close as I can from Monument 450 before dusk. I estimated that I had about 20km to do from the entrance of Gosford'Park to the junction of Chemin de la Grive and Chemin Clearwater were I thought could be a good place to camp. Weather was cold but sunny so I put on my ski, as a decided to use the car road the get there and put my backpack on my shoulder. I found it was a little heavier than what I expected, probably because I had Web's food, my tent and my snowshoes. Whatever, weather was good and the approach hike easy, it was a little ''false flat'' to the junction. As I started mid day, I hadn't lot of daylight left for the approach and I had to stop about a kilometer or so from the junction to set up the tent, melt snow to get water and prepared dinner. I gave Web some food so he could stay warm during the night because he was wet from the hike, snow has melt on his paws and chest. I even gave him a place on my mat. I went into my sleep bag sometime around 9pm or so. I didn't really slept well as the temperature fall down to -30 celsius during the night. Even with my -40 celsius sleeping bag I could feel the cold, I must say that I have been using it lot since the last 10-12 years I used it so he is more likely to be some -20 celsius sleeping bag now. Anyway, when I woke up I take a look at Web and saw him shivering, the night had been hard on him. He didn't wanted to move, eat or drink. He finally move out of the tent and hike back on the trail heading toward the entrance. I called him back and put him in my sleeping bag so he could stop shivering. He stayed there during the time I ate my breakfast and melt snow to water for the day. By 9am we were ready to go. We both had our breakfast and the sun was warming us. We rapidly got to the junction and turn right on Chemin de la Grive. After another kilometer of so we got to the end of Chemin de la Grive. From there I had seen a trail on my map that would lead us on the boundary trench, which was easy to spot. Half way to the boundary the trail disappear. From there on Web and I would have to bushwalk the final part of the mountain. It was a steep 400 meter with lot of snow. We took an hour to reach the boundary. There we take a little break and headed for Monument 450. The altitude were we got out of the bush was 1092 meters and it was 10h45am. The boundary is such a lovely place for anyone how little to hike in winter. It is a wide trench were some snowmobile run time to time. That make the snow compact and easy to walk. I headed South toward the Monument 450 for about 3km before reaching it. I must describe those three kilometers. The first one is a steep hill going down, the second one is a flat stretch and the last one another big slope going up Monument 450. Everything to burn your muscles, as on my way back I had to use the same trail going down and up again. I reached Monument 450 at 11h45am, at 1077 meters and UTM were 0355846 and 5010959. I reached back my point of entrance on the boundary by 12h50 and had a little lunch, so did Web. Looking to the time I also took the decision to get back to the car tonight as Web had been freezing the night before. Then we hiked toward Border Monument 445-446. It was close from us at about 1.5km. We reached without difficulty the summit by 1h25pm. Altitude of it is 1175m and UTM are 0355561 and 5014266. From there Web and I could see the wind farm in Maine next to the border. We then turn back on our step on the border and founded our trail toward Chemin de la Grive by 13h55. We when down fast as I wanted to melt snow at the tent before packing down everything and that I knew we would have to hike another 17km or so to reach the parking lot. We were at the tent by 2h40pm and finally leave it with all the gear in my backpack strap on my shoulder at 4pm. I knew from there that I will have to push my skis fast if I wanted to get to the parking lot before dusk. Finally I did that last part quickly but not enough to keep up with the sun. I arrived at 6h40pm exhausted and happy at the car. The moon had been shining for Web and I along the last hour of ski. My legs were sore of the intensive ''walk'' but were still responding for the drive back to Québec city.
Summary Total Data
    Quality:3 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)
    Route Conditions:
Road Hike, Unmaintained Trail, Bushwhack
    Gear Used:
Skis, Ski Poles, Snowshoes, Tent Camp
    Weather:Cold, Breezy, Clear

This page has been served 358 times since 2005-01-15.

Copyright © 1987-2021 by All Rights Reserved. Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page Terms of Service