Ascent of Mount Shuksan on 2019-07-07
|Date:||Sunday, July 7, 2019|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Elevation:||9131 ft / 2783 m|
Ascent Trip ReportThis was part of a Mountaineers trip. I was an assistant leader.
Day one (sun, 7/8):
- Besides 1 other car, we were the only ones in the parking lot
- Hiked up to camp around 6.5k' in a whiteout and rain
- Approach trail was very muddy and slick
- There is some running water along the approach
- There's no running water at camp yet, just lots of snow
- We encountered a party coming down. They said they never left camp as the weather wasn't favorable
- Rain stopped at night and the whiteout began to fade in and out
Day two (sun, 7/9):
- Woke up to a clear sky and left for summit at 5a.
- Only encountered 1 party on our ascent (they came from Fisher Chimney)
- Only encountered 1 crevasse. There's a snow bridge that allows you to walk over it, but it's possible to punch through. On the way down, the snow was softer and we had 1 party member punch through to their knee while crossing near it. Not sure how big the crevasse is itself, so best to cross quickly.
- There's still snow in the gully going up the summit block. Required high-dagger with an ice axe at points and kick-stepping.
- Most of the scramble up is still on rock though. We didn't put crampons on while crossing over the snow chunks.
- Rappel stations are plentiful.
|Summary Total Data|
| Route Conditions:||Maintained Trail, Snow on Ground, Exposed Scramble, Glacier Climb|
| Gear Used:||Ice Axe, Crampons, Rope, Ski Poles, Tent Camp|
| Route:||Sulphide Glacier |
This page has been served 75 times since 2005-01-15.