Ascent of Mount Redfield on 1997-09-27

Climber: Alan Bangel

Others in Party:alone
Date:Saturday, September 27, 1997
Ascent Type:Successful Summit Attained
    Motorized Transport to Trailhead:Car
Peak:Mount Redfield
    Location:USA-New York
    Elevation:4606 ft / 1403 m

Ascent Trip Report

This is my nineteenth hike report. (September 27th, 1997 hike (originally written on October 5th 1997), report entered May 10th 2010)

Hello once again, as I had mentioned in my last report I was holding out in an effort to get one more hike in during this season. I was hoping to complete Saddleback and Basin but that was not to be. Instead I planned a trip from Upper Works to Mount Redfield skipping Cliff because the days are getting shorter and I didn’t want to be on the trail in the dark. I first wanted to hike on Sept. 13th but the weather reports were sketchy and I still had a few more weekends to go so I opted to wait. The next week everything looked pretty hopeless until Wed. when someone switched a forecast and said Saturday would just be cloudy. Then on Thursday they switched back to rain for Sat. but by then my mind was set on going. I started my travels right after school on the 19th. 3:15PM and I was on the road, cloudy, sprinkly, and hoping for better things to come. The clouds and cool weather were with me all the way into Glens Falls about 4 hours later, but no major rain, it was time to get groceries and grab a bite for dinner. To shorten a long story I did not have a pocket to place my wallet in, and I needed to tie my sneakers, I put the wallet under my arm and somehow during the process dropped it outside the Grand Union in S. Glens Falls. When I realized it was missing, it was long gone. After two hours of general panic I was on my way home. I had fortunately fueled the car sufficiently to make the return trip. 60% of the trip home was made in the pouring rain with plenty of lightning to keep things interesting. The final outcome was that I lost $107. and the police in Glens Falls received the wallet four days later and mailed it to me so I did not have to duplicate all the paperwork. Unfortunate and stupid, and the weather that Saturday was also rainy all day.
After a brief period of self-abuse and contemplation that the 46 might be a foolish thing to pursue, I either came to my senses or completely lost them, because that next weekend on Sept. 26 (still without my wallet) I was off to the Adirondacks again. This time the weather report for Sat. 27th was excellent.
I reached Upper Works at around 10:30PM and promptly prepared to get to sleep. By 2:00AM the temperature had dropped significantly and I needed to put log-johns on; since I was using a summer sleeping bag. They didn’t help a lot and the temp. got down to 34 degrees. It was not the most comfortable night I’ve spent. My alarm went off at 6:00AM and I refused to move out of the bag until 6:30. With the sky just starting to get light I finally dragged myself out. Most of my packing was done so by 7:00 I was at the register and shaking down the trail. At 9:00 I reached Flowed Lands (right on schedule) 9:35 Colden Dam. From here all the trails were going to be new to me. I stopped a few timesto read trail descriptions, take pictures, and at Uphill Brook to talk to an elderly gent and his wife about trail locations. Most of the time I was alone, at 1:05 I reached the summit of Redfield. Two other hikers were perched on the rock at the summit and after a brief hello, and one of them taking my picture, they left me to my solitude. Reaching the summit had taken over 1/2 hour longer than I had anticipated. I enjoyed my lunch and had half an hour to sit and contemplate the view. I wanted to stay longer but 6 hours to the top also meant a long trip back.
At 1:45 I started the trip down. When I reached Uphill Brook I passed several people on their way up Redfield. When I reached the water falls on Uphill Brook I came upon a young lady who had just finished Mt. Marcy and was hoping to get back to Adirondack Loj through Avalanche Pass. I explained where she was and we hiked back to Uphill Brook Lean-to together, there we met two other hikers who were disoriented also. After helping get everyone back on track we each went off in our proper directions and I reached Colden Dam at 4:03.
Usually I’m the one that needs help or at least I’m in constant fear that I’ve made some mistake and will get myself lost. It was great to be able to help someone out. The company also helped to lift my spirits and my pace. From Colden Dam to Upper Works I hiked alone, reaching the register at 6:35. By 7:00 the trail was pitch black and I was pleased with myself for not having to slow to a snails pace and use a flashlight.
From trails end I drove into Indian Lake and spent an hour visiting with my friend from school, from there I headed south back to Oneonta fro the night. I reached my sister-in-laws at 12:30.
With 8 peaks to go I’m feeling confident that next year will be the year. Until my hiking season begins the trails won’t be far from my thoughts.
Summary Total Data
    Total Elevation Gain:3225 ft / 982 m
    Quality:7 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)
    Route Conditions:
Unmaintained Trail
    Weather:Pleasant, Calm, Clear
Ascent Statistics
    Gain on way in:3225 ft / 982 m
    Start Trailhead:1381 ft / 420 m
Descent Statistics

This page has been served 454 times since 2005-01-15.

Copyright © 1987-2019 by All Rights Reserved. Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page Terms of Service