Peakbagger.com

Ascent of Rabbit Peak on 2019-03-01

Climber: Jim Wick

Others in Party:Larry Edmonds
----Only Party on Mountain
Date:Friday, March 1, 2019
Ascent Type:Successful Summit Attained
    Motorized Transport to Summit:Car
Peak:Rabbit Peak
    Location:USA-California
    Elevation:6640 ft / 2023 m

Ascent Trip Report

A two day backpack. Up the ramp from the S2 to villager where we spent the night. Then took Greg Garlachs route to Ruth. From Ruth followed the ridge up to the main Villager to Rabbit ridge and ascended to Rabbit and Rabbit BM. Listed stats are for the entire trip.

originally a planned 3 day backpack trip but cut it short to a 2 day trip due to forecast storm (high wind and rain). We had cached water a week prior at a little saddle depression ~4200'. I started with 6 liters plus added 5 liters (cached). Came across a single Borrego Bighorn Sheep on the way up. Got some great photos. He was just watching us; likely wondering what we were doing. There were just a few patches of snow remaining from the week prior. Made okay time to Villager. I went straight for the summit cairn before selecting a campsite. Larry did the opposite; dropped the heavy pack at the campsite before venturing to the summit. Signed the register. The forecast was for good winds overnight; the forecast was true with some gusts 50+mph. However our campsite was shielded a bit so nothing hit the tent straight other than light wind but could hear the gusts blowing over the top and just above us. Since we were shortening the trip we got a pre-dawn start. Put the headlamps on and descended the NW ridge towards Rabbit. Lost the trail a few times. There were multiple cloud decks as the sun rose; great photos. The wind died down at sunrise. Just before Pk5859, we contoured down towards Ruth BM. There was some steep sections. Even dropping into the bottom of the canyon was very slow going (next time would stay on the ridge until the saddle after PK 5859 and maintaining the contour until ridge just NW of Ruth BM). Signed the register. Found the BM and RMs. Didn't stay too long as we had a long way to go; didn't want to waste daylight. Headed up the NW ridge until reaching the main use trail ascending Rabbit. There are several use trails at this point; they all eventually go to the same place. It would be nice for someone to put in a more official trail to minimize impact (and to prevent hikers from getting lost). Reached the summit block for Rabbit just before noon. Good views; signed the register. We snacked some then headed cross country to the BM. Found the BM & RMs; signed the register. Didn't stay long as we had only reached halfway. We returned to the use trail and descended to the ridge. There were tons of butterflies. The winds steadily increased during the day. We reached our campsite at 330pm. We decided to break camp and head all the way out (versus moving camp lower). As we the upper sections of Villager, we caught sight of a pair of hikers ahead of us (lower). But with our heavy packs and needing steady foot work, we weren't going to catch them. Larry decided to recache some of his water (where we cached before) as we planned to come back up in a couple weeks for Mile High. I decided to carry everything down. There were lenticular clouds on all the lower peaks in every direction. The storm was coming as forecasted. We didn't want wet gear (or more importantly didn't want to clean wet gear) so we decided to hike all the way out. There are a couple sections near exposure where we had to brace for the wind gusts; at least the wind was blowing us further into the mountain versus towards the exposure. We were about 2 miles from the vehicles when darkness and safety (from sharp plants) required headlamps back on. Reached the vehicles about 8pm. Then drove the 2 hours home. (The next morning I checked the current weather and the storm had hit the mountain about 6 hours earlier than forecasted with possible snow atop Villager and flash flooding all below...glad we made the decision we did). We will have to get Zosel and Crab another day.
Summary Total Data
    Quality:9 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)
    Weather:Cool, Very Windy, Partly Cloudy
Ascent Part of Trip: 2019 Villager Rabbit BP

Complete Trip Sequence:
OrderPeak/PointDateGain
1Villager Peak2019-02-2810252 ft / 3125 m
2Ruth Benchmark2019-03-01 
3Rabbit Peak2019-03-01 
4Rabbit Benchmark2019-03-01 
5Villager Peak2019-03-01 
Total Trip Gain: 10252 ft / 3125 m    Total Trip Loss: 10252 ft / 3125 m
GPS Data for Ascent/Trip


 GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long
Peaks:  climbed and  unclimbed by Jim Wick
Click Here for a Full Screen Map
Note: GPS Tracks may not be accurate, and may not show the best route. Do not follow this route blindly. Conditions change frequently. Use of a GPS unit in the outdoors, even with a pre-loaded track, is no substitute for experience and good judgment. Peakbagger.com accepts NO responsibility or liability from use of this data.

Download this GPS track as a GPX file




This page has been served 257 times since 2005-01-15.




Copyright © 1987-2021 by Peakbagger.com. All Rights Reserved. Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page Terms of Service