Ascent of Mount Nebo on 2018-07-22
|Others in Party:||Dean Gaudet|
|Date:||Sunday, July 22, 2018|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Elevation:||11928 ft / 3635 m|
Ascent Trip ReportThis is a terrific climb with several distinct stages:
- Moderate climb along the right side of a barbed wire fence through red soil and conglomerate.
- Easy walk through encroaching vegetation with some downed trees.
- Steep, direct ascent up the right side of a bowl, with some switchbacks at the top.
- Traverse under North Peak, and descent to Wolf Pass.
- Very steep 800’ climb up a subsidiary peak to the summit ridge.
- Rocky ridge walk and scramble over scree and talus, then 500’ up on more of the same to the summit.
Although the forecast called for scattered thunderstorms, which had in fact chased us off some peaks the previous day, we had excellent weather. The 9 miles took us 7 hours. We encountered one trail runner descending before us, and several groups coming up afterward.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||3778 ft / 1151 m|
| Total Elevation Loss:||1100 ft / 335 m|
| Quality:||8 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Maintained Trail, Scramble|
| Gain on way in:||3778 ft / 1151 m|
| Gain Breakdown:||Net: 2678 ft / 816 m; Extra: 1100 ft / 335m|
| Loss on way in:||1100 ft / 335 m|
| Distance:||8.9 mi / 14.3 km|
| Start Trailhead:||9250 ft / 2819 m|
This page has been served 303 times since 2005-01-15.