Peakbagging Page for Tom Layton
Personal Climb Logs
The links below take you to dynamically generated lists of Tom Layton's peakbagging activity.
- Ascent List: List of Tom Layton's hikes, climbs, summits, and attempts.
- Peak List: List of distinct summits attained, with peak statistics. Includes a peak's "Personal Isolation".
- List of Lists: Peakbagging Lists that Tom Layton is pursuing, showing progress for each list by number and percent of peaks climbed.
- Trip Report Index: Same as the main climb list, but only showing climbs with trip reports and/or GPS Tracks.
- Unsuccessful Ascent List: A badge of honor for real climbers--lessons learned when turning back.
- Multiple Ascents List: A listing of all peaks climbed more than once.
- NEW! Progressive Peak List: Time-ordered progressive lists for eight different metrics.
- Master Peak Map: Interactive worldwide map showing all peaks climbed, color-coded by elevation or prominence.
Reports showing a climber's buddies and other climbers. Click for More Info
Lists personally created by Tom Layton.
- Personal Lists: Shows all lists created by Tom Layton. Includes Query Lists created using the Query Tool, and "Pick-and-Choose" Lists created by selecting individual peaks.
- No Wish List created yet.
Time-Period Summary Reports
These reports show number of peaks climbed, highest point reached, and other statistics grouped by year or month.
US County High Point Links
Tom Layton has self-identified as interested in climbing to the high points of counties in the United States.
"I took a topographic map and picked out on it, by means of the contour lines and the blank space showing no settlement, what seemed to be the wildest part of these regions; and there I went."
--Horace Kephart, 1922
Horace Kephart was a St. Louis librarian who became one of the founding fathers of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I was a Missouri journalism student when I discovered his epic "Our Southern Highlanders." In my own way, I have been plodding in his footsteps ever since.
Since my all-too-short Boy Scout days, I have had a fascination with mountains and maps. In my dotage, I have been delighted to discover peakbagger.com, cohp.org, and listsofjohn.com. I appreciate the insights of everyone who contributes to these websites. You inspire my explorations, guide my paths, and put my wanderings in context.
I post trip reports for all my hikes on Peakbagger and occasionally blog about my ramblings on tomlayton.blogspot.com. The blog also has a schedule of my upcoming hikes, in case you'd like to come along. Most weekends, I'm walking somewhere in NC, TN, VA, or SC.
I was raised in Anderson SC, worked 20 years as a sportswriter in Greenville SC, and have lived since 1999 in Boone NC, where I serve as print editor for the international Christian relief organization Samaritan's Purse.
From 2007 through 2011, I volunteered with the crew that built the summit trail to Elk Knob in my home county of Watauga NC. The view atop Elk Knob (5550+) is well worth the walk. I have seen 5 states (SC/NC/KY/VA/TN) and 32 county high points from the summit. There may be as many as 41 COHPs visible, including one 150 miles away, according to peakfinder.org. Adjacent Snake Mountain (5560+) has a similar panorama. I would be interested in any other location where over 30 COHPs are visible.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (cut and paste it--that's L-810, not one-810)
Quick Top 10 Lists/Peaks
Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page
Copyright Â© 1987-2015 by Peakbagger.com. All Rights Reserved.
Watch how to prevent shock and fell replica handbags down? You can purchase waterproof shockproof watches, this replica watches type ofanti-collision and fall watch wrestling louis vuitton replica limits higher than the replica watches ordinary watch, yet they are not replica handbags small knock a small touch to replica watches uk put the watch broke! Daily life, we must replica watches develop good habits love watches. When off rolex replica watch, pay attention to omega replica gently put to a safe location, must not arbitrarily throw on louis vuitton replica the table, it is easy to cause damage to replica watches the watch exterior and interior parts!Shock and fell down to hermes replica watch what effect? A great impact! Likely impact and fell louis vuitton replica back down the watch to be scrapped, to try to prevent this breitling replica from happening omega replica !