Ascent of Mount Abraham on 2013-10-26
|Date:||Saturday, October 26, 2013|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Elevation:||4040 ft / 1231 m|
Ascent Trip ReportClimbed Abraham today, hooray! I climbed from the Fire Warden Trail, which is the non-AT trail. If you're looking to climb Abraham, Spaulding and Sugarloafin one hike, it might be best to do a traverse to the trail from Caribou Valley Road. I have this parking area described in my Redington summit post from September of this year.
Here's how to get to the Fire Warden trail:
1) Go to Kingfield.
2) Go on West Branch road. Eventually, road becomes unpaved.
3) Turn rightish onto Rapid Stream Road. It's the only road along the way that is not private, and should easy to follow. The road kind of follows a brook.
4) Eventually, road will fork, take the left fork marked "Appalachian Trail".
5) There's 2 bridges out. Park as close t the bridge without blocking other cars or trespassing as possible (there are a few turnouts along the way)
6) For the two streams. I found crossings fewer than 100' upstream of both fords that I could use. That being said, it's October, and the water table on my projects in Lewiston have literally dropped 3 feet in the past two weeks. I'd bring rubber boots, just because.
7) Walk along the road, which is marked by cairns. There is one fork, which is to the right.
8) After about 15 minutes, you'll be at the trailhead
9) Follow the trail up. It's at a fairly steady grade for any fire warden trail I've ever climbed. Summit is at 4050', 4.5 to 5 miles from the car. Campsite is at about 3 miles in, and is cooool.
There's a neat little makeshift shelter at the summit, and there is a lot out there as far as the exposed ridgeline. 1.7 miles from the summit to the AT
This page has been served 120 times since 2005-01-15.
Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page
Copyright © 1987-2014 by Peakbagger.com. All Rights Reserved.