Ascent of Bighorn Peak on 2010-06-19
|Date:||Saturday, June 19, 2010|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Elevation:||8441 ft / 2572 m|
Ascent Trip Report***Private Solo hike
-Peaks (5): Sugarloaf Peak (6924'), Ontario Peak (8693'), Bighorn Peak (8441'), Cucamonga Peak (8859'), and Etiwanda Peak (8662') in that order
-Stats: 15 miles RT, +6,600' gain loophike, starting up Falling Rock Canyon and coming down Icehouse Canyon.
-START (car) = 7:57 AM
-SUGARLOAF PEAK SUMMIT = 9:50 AM (1.49 mi one way, +1,944')
-ONTARIO PEAK SUMMIT = 12:00 PM (3 mi one way, +3,912')
-SADDLE BETWEEN BIGHORN AND CUCAMONGA PEAK = 2:00 PM (5.34 mi one way, +4,397')
-CUCAMONGA PEAK SUMMIT = 2:55 PM (6.64 mi one way, +5,627)
-ETIWANDA PEAK SUMMIT = 3:55 PM (7.54 mi one way, +5,952')
-STOP (car) = 7:05 PM
*****Total time (car-to-car) = 11 hr 8 min
0) Parking lot full. Had to park at intersection of Mount Baldy Road and Icehouse Canyon Road. Arrive super early to get a parking spot.
1) Do Sugarloaf Peak 1st.
2) Better to go up Falling Rock Canyon. Very steep and easy to trigger rock slides (which I did). However, going down is more dangerous especially when you are more tired from doing the other peaks. AVOID GOING DOWN.
3) Not much shade throughout the day, so if you attempt this 5-peak dayhike do it on a cool weekend.
4) Ridgeline going from Sugarloaf to Ontario marked by good number of ducks. Faint use trail can be followed; however, in certain spots I lost the "use trail" and had a hard time spotting ducks. Just use common sense and keep going up the ridgeline, taking the past of least resistance.
5) Saw 1 Bighorn sheep on use trail leading to Bighorn Peak!!!!!!!
6) Easy to lose trail going from Cucamonga to Etiwanda.
|Summary Total Data|
| Route Conditions:||Unmaintained Trail|
| Gear Used:||Ski Poles|
| Weather:||Sunny, Cool, High 60s/Low 70s|
This page has been served 182 times since 2005-01-15.
Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page
Copyright © 1987-2015 by Peakbagger.com. All Rights Reserved.