Peakbagger.com

Ascent of Mount Crescent on 2010-06-05

Climber: Ben Lostracco

Others in Party:supported by Rose
Date:Saturday, June 5, 2010
Ascent Type:Successful Summit Attained
    Motorized Transport to Trailhead:Car
Peak:Mount Crescent
    Location:USA-New Hampshire
    Elevation:3251 ft / 990 m

Ascent Trip Report

Today's climb was a point-to-point route over 3 Peaks. A moderately/steep route with a lot of recent blowdown, a number of wet sections and a lot of moose droppings on the Mount Crescent Ridge Trail ...... a total of 5.7 miles and 3 1/2 hours.

It was around 9h00 hours when Rose dropped me off at the Mount Crescent TH on Randolph Hill Road, she wants to go back to Walmart this morning for a few things. I told her I'd be out in about 4 hours at the Sargent Path TH on Durand Road.

From the TH on Randolph Hill Road I ascended the Mount Crescent Trail to its summit where I made a left turn on Mount Crescent Ridge Trail sb to the Randolph's, passing to east of the North Peak on its way to Mount Randolph. Once over the "signed" Mount Randolph the Trail descends and connects up with The Sargent Path which drops steeply to its TH on Durand Road.

The access to the actual summit of Mount Randolph North Peak is by a short bushwack. The Mount Crescent Ridge Trail reaches a height-of-land on the east side of its summit (can't be missed), the woods here are fairly open. Look for an obscure herd path and make your way west to the high ground (a few hundred feet). The Highpoint is obvious, its pink flagged.

All 3 summits are wooded without views, a number of lookouts offer views however this is not the best route for views and therefore not recommended ...... unless of course you've got those inviting/motivating Lists to deal with.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO THE TH'S
MOUNT CRESCENT TRAIL HEAD .... from the east outskirts of the village of Randolph on hwy #2 at the Grand View Lodge and Randolph Hill Road, travel north (turns to the west in a short distance) on Randolph Hill Road for 1.85 miles to a small white sign "Crescent Trail" on the right, just before a house.
SARGENT PATH TRAIL HEAD .... on Durand Road about 1 mile west of the Randolph Town Offices, a small white sign "Sargent Path" on the northside of the Road at an unused driveway. This TH is 2.75 miles west of the Grand View Lodge (drive west on #2 about 3/4 mile to a right on Durand Road, which turns/continues west past the Town Offices to the TH on the right).

As usual Rose was there waiting (she always shows up early). I cleaned up before driving to Mcdo in Gorham where we updated our day/diary. We were about to leave when a "huge" rain kept us in the restaurant ...... the streets had an inch of water within half an hour. The heavy rain stopped after about an hour, the time was late afternoon.
We went back to Dolly Copp CG on hwy #16. The rain continued into the night. Tomorrow's forecast is more rain so the plan is to take a day off and check into a Hotel in North Conway ..... we'll go out and check out the TH'S for the following day's climb (a point-to-point hike over the Moats.

"NEVER TELL YOUR PROBLEMS TO ANYONE ...... 20% DON'T CARE AND THE OTHER 80% ARE GLAD YOU HAVE THEM."
Summary Total Data
    Elevation Gain:1401 ft / 427 m
    Elevation Loss:1401 ft / 427 m
    Route Conditions:
Maintained Trail
Ascent Statistics
    Elevation Gain:1401 ft / 427 m
    Distance:1.7 mi / 2.7 km
    Route:mt crescent trail from southside randolph hill rd
    Trailhead:randolph hill road north of hwy #2, W of Gorham  1850 ft / 563 m
Descent Statistics
    Elevation Loss:1401 ft / 427 m
    Route:crescent ridge tr sb to Randolph N peak
    Trailhead:randolph hill road north of hwy #2, W of Gorham  1850 ft / 563 m
Ascent Part of Trip: crescent

Complete Trip Sequence:
OrderPeak/PointDate
1Mount Crescent2010-06-05 a
2Mount Randolph-North Peak2010-06-05 b
3Mount Randolph2010-06-05 c



This page has been served 298 times since 2005-01-15.




Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page
Copyright © 1987-2014 by Peakbagger.com. All Rights Reserved.